PROMOTING NIGERIA MADE PRODUCTS & SERVICES —MIKE OYE ON SATURDAY —- ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE: TERRIFIC HEADLINES today focuses on ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE, a compilation by an expert in that field, Revd (Dr) Mike Oye, who points out that it is very possible to live healthily without drugs through good diets, discipline, and adequate appropriation of nature. He asserted that whatever is natural is always better for human consumption than the synthetic alternatives. Unfortunately, so many gifted local alternative medical practitioners, who never went to any school but inherited the formula from their progenitors have died with their useful knowledge.
As advocates of promoting home made products, TERRIFIC HEADLINES, this week brings you two plants and their medicinal effects. They are SOUR SOP, that is rich in calcium and phosphorus and therefore for bone health. According to Dr, Nike Oye who is a naturopathist, The fruit also serves as a tonic, stopping fever, killing parasites and preventing excessive urination. Additionally, we invite your attention to the usefulness on GINGER, that promotes appetites and perspiration, reduces body odour, and joint pain caused by poor circulation of blood. As usual, we advise that you still contact experts in alternative medicine for the preparation of these useful items and the prescription.
- ANNONA MURICATA
- FAMILY: ANNONACEAE
- ENGLISH NAME: SOUR SOP
- WEST AFRICAN NAMES
- NIGERIA: Sawa-sawa
- GHANA: Akan-Akyem = Aborofontunkum, apre
- COTE D’IVOIRE: Baule = Amion, sunzun
- SIERRA LEONE: Bulom = Sisisap; Krio = Sawa sap
- TOGO: Tem = Alola
- SENEGAL : Serer =
Description A small tree of about 8 meters high. The leaves have a characteristic aroma and the cover of the succulent fruit (pericarp) is thorny.
- The bark and the root are used for dysentery, and the leaves for dysentery and fever
- A decoction of the roots is a poison antidote
- The fresh leaves are pounded and applied to wounds, they are a dressing for circumcision wounds
- The plant shows parasitical properties. The leaves can be used against worms
- The juice of the young leaves can be applied to pustules to make them burst
- Both the leaves and the fruit juice are very effective against many cancers. The appropriate nutrients are capable of starving malignant tissues from food and allowing food to get to healthy tissues.
- The fruit is very rich in vitamins B and C, and therefore functions as a antioxidant in the body
- The unripe fruit is astringent and is used to treat lack of tone in the intestines and for scurvy.
- The flower and the bud are used for coughs
- Both flower and fruit have been used for catarrh
- The seeds are emetic and have been used for cough
- The seeds contain oil, which is irritant and lethal to the head louse
- The fruit is rich in calcium and phosphorus and therefore for bone health.
- The fruit serves as a tonic, stopping fever, killing parasites and preventing excessive urination.
- The seeds have gained reputation as a sedative and soporific (sleep inducer)
- The leaves moderate high blood pressure and high blood sugar level and treat cough, indigestion, rheumatism, inflammation and swollen feet.
- ZINGIBER OFFICINALE
- ENGLISH NAME: GINGER
- AFRICAN NAMES:
- Nigeria: Yoruba: Ata-ile; Hausa = citar – ahoo; Igbo= Ukpara-nseze.
- Ghana: Twi = Kakaduru
- Togo: Anyi-Amifo = Kakadolo
- Liberia: Mano = Gesu
- Sierra Leone: Krio –Jinga
- Senegal: Bedik = Nyamaku
- An herbaceous tropical plant with rhizomes, which are used in herbal and orthodox medicine. Both fresh and dry rhizomes are used.
- Ginger’s anti fungal compounds make it a popular herb for treating athlete’s foot
- It is effective in relieving pains and treating arthritis
- It can be used in treating nausea, morning sickness and motion sickness
- It promotes appetites and perspiration
- It reduces body odour
- It reduces joint pain caused by poor circulation
- It is effective in common gastro intestinal conditions such as indigestion, flatulence and diarrhea
- It loosens phlegm and combats some of the symptoms of cold and flu
- Cough, asthma, fever, sinusitis, menstrual cramps, halitosis and colic have been treated with ginger.
- Ginger has been shown to slow down the production of LDL. And triglycerides in the liver. It also prevents clotting and aggregation of platelets in blood vessels
- It is popularly used for heartburn
- Digestives, carminative sudoforic
- Treat exhaustion, lack of appetite, bloated stomach and flatulence
- It contains an essential oil with many tarpene derivatives
Warning! Not recommended for people with ulcer. This is because, in high doses, ginger provokes gastritis
TERRIFIC HEADLINES, again cautions and counsels people to use these gifts of nature only after consulting experts in Alternative Medicine.
Author: Revd (Dr) MIKE OYE
CONTACT OFFICE ADDRESS:
- Joy House, Near Neubertosh Chemical Industry, Ofatedo, Osogbo, Osun State, Nigeria. (234) 8106682128; OFFICE: +(234) 8163441767 & (234) 803-450-1902;
United States Mobile NOs (1) 267-274-8356; (1) 267-274-8357