PROMOTING NIGERIA MADE PRODUCTS & SERVICESALTERNATIVE MEDICINE: TROPICAL SPICES AND THEIR HEALTH BENEFITS …… MIKE OYE ON SATURDAY
God has been kind to Africa in terms of natural resources. Africa is tremendously rich in several natural resources, including agriculture; but less than 10 percent of arable land in Africa is being utilized for farming, thus leaving huge cultivable arable lands on the vast continent uncultivated. Regrettably, the tremendously blessed continent, as at 2013, was the poorest region in the world. It is evidently for this reason that the President of the African Development Bank, Dr. Akinwunmi Adesina has asserted categorically that the billions being chased around are actually of the farmlands. As a continent with a collective GDP of about US$2 trillion, Africa holds about 14 percent of the world’s population and more than 60 percent of uncultivated arable land. Regrettably, less than 10 percent of arable land in Africa is being cultivated. What this means is that Africans must be mobilized in the pursuit of good governance, and the proper utilization of the continent’s several human and natural resources, particularly agriculture.
Our guide, Revd (Dr) Mike Oyehas pointed out that it is very possible to live healthily without drugs through good diets, discipline, and adequate appropriation of nature. Hence, it is high time we appreciated what we have before we lose them or pay direly to access them. According to him, it is always good to remember that God created resources for all that man would ever need before the creation of man. He created herbs for the healing of the nations (Ezekiel47V12). God made products are always better than man-made products. The best of science is to discover a little of the wisdom of God in the creation and never to fault it. Thus, whatever is natural is always better for human consumption than synthetic alternatives. Unfortunately, so many gifted local alternative medical practitioners, who never went to any school but inherited the formula from their progenitors have died with their useful knowledge. Their products and claims could have been subjected to tests by the appropriate agencies of government, but they never parted with their rich knowledge of traditional medicine. As advocates and promoters of NIGERIA MADE PRODUCTS, we will try, to the best of our endowments, to invite the attention of our loyal readers and friends to these products.
Today, we bring into your homes a compilation by an expert in Alternative Medicine, Revd(Dr) MIKE OYE to enlighten visitors to our social media channels on habits, diets, and health-related matters. Dr. Mike Oye is still very agile at the age of 81 years and is in very high demand in the United States, Western nations, and even some African countries. Pa Mike Oye obtained a Bachelors degree from the University of Ibadan in 1965, a Ph.D. in Agricultural Extension & Rural Sociology; and another Doctor of Philosophy in Traditional Naturopathy from the Clayton College of Natural Health, United States. As an Independent Alternative Medicine Practitioner and an experienced Christian Minister for over five decades, Revd Mike Oye has a track record of effectively dealing with many chronic, physical, mental, and spiritual human disorders in a holistic way. His broad and comprehensive education and a deep interest in the well-being of humankind are the basis for his practice.
This week, our focus in on LEMON GRASS and Tomatoes. According to Dr. Mike Oye, Lemon Grass, administered according to prescription could detoxify the liver, kidney, pancreas, bladder and digestive tract? And TOMATOES that we see and even grow in our compounds can be used to prevent gall stones and kidney stones. According to our Guide, some research has shown that those who eat tomatoes without seeds have lesser chances of developing the diseases.
CYMBOPOGON CITRATUS…………. ENGLISH NAME: LEMON GRASS
- AFRICAN NAMES
- NIGERIA: Yoruba = KorikoOba ; Hausa = isauri ; Igbo = achara chi
- SIERRA LEONE: Baulom = pei – poto; Gola = ti ;Kissi = bichinyeyo; Kono = pu-dumbi; Mende = pu –lumbe; Krio = lemon-gras
- GAMBIA: Manding-mandinka= kanyanyallo
- A tufted perennial grass with culms to 2m high and found throughout the tropics. All parts of the plants are aromatic, due to the presence of an essential oil composed of citral, myrcane, dipentene and methylheptenone. Citral gives the lemon taste.
- Health Benefits
- The plant is often burnt in houses to keep off mosquitoes
- The infusion of the leaf is taken as a febrifuge, sudorific and dysenteric, and put into hot baths for fumigation.
- Leaves boiled with guava leaves are taken for cough.
- Leaf and rhizome infusions are pectoral and good for colds, flu, pneumonia, cough and consumption, as well as for fever.
- The tea relieves arthritic pain and rheumatism.
- It can help prevent colon cancer, because of the abundance of beta- carotene.
- It helps in flatulence and colic.
- Mixed with pepper, it can be useful in treating menstrual disorders and nausea.
- It helps to reduce uric acid, cholesterol and excess fats and therefore weight loss
- It improves blood circulation and reduces blood pressure.
- It serves a s a sedative for the central nervous system
- It also helps to reduce cellulite
- It reduces pimples and acne, thus improving the skin.
- It helps to alleviate indigestion and gastroenteritis.
- It has antibacterial and antifungal properties.
- It is rich in antioxidants and boosts the immune system
- It helps to detoxify the liver, kidney, pancreas, bladder and digestive tract.
- It is rich in calcium, magnesium, manganese, copper, iron, zinc, potassium and the B vitamins. All these are very much needed for basic physiological activities in the body.
TOMATOES — LYCOPERSICON ESCULENTUM: ENGLISH NAME TOMATOES
- AFRICAN NAMES
- NIGERIA: Yoruba = Tomato ; Hausa = Atumaatur; Igbo = Afufa-bekee
- GHANA : Akan-Asante = tomatese
- TOGO: Bassari = dikambil
- SIERRA LEONE: Kissi = tomasisio; Kono = kibonki
- LIBERIA: Mano = kwi
- COTE D’IVOIRE: Abe = tomato
- An annual herb, sprawling or trailing to 1m high with succulent fruit reddish when ripe
Health Benefits: Pulp leaves are an embrocation for local pains
- A lotion of boiled leaves is applied to infants as a soothing dressing, and instilled for ear ache.
- The leaves are considered as antibiotic and fungicidal on sores
- An infusion of the leaves is used in treating gonorrhea
- The leaf is diuretic and beneficial for diseases of the urinary passage and liver troubles
- A poultice of the fruit is used for vitiligo
- Tomatoes are rich in vitamins A, C and K, folate, and potassium.
- They also provide thiamin, niacin, vitamin B6, magnesium, copper, and phosphorus which are necessary for health.
- They are usually low in calories, cholesterol, fats, and sodium, excess of which are detrimental to health.
- They are rich in fibre and water, making them help in elimination and weight loss.
- As parts of vegetable and fruit diets, tomatoes help prevent high blood pressure, heart disorders and stroke.
- They are rich in beta- carotene, which enhances the condition of the eyes and the skin.
- The presence of lycopene in tomatoes makes them useful against skin lines and wrinkles caused by ultra- violet rays. It also improves bone mass, thus preventing osteoporosis.
- Vitamin K and calcium in tomatoes help to strengthen and repair bones.
- Lycopene reduces the risk of many cancers, including prostate, mouth, cervical, pharyngeal, esophageal, stomach, colon, rectal and ovarian cancers. Vitamin A and C, as antioxidants, also fight free radicals that damage cells.
- As a good source of chromium, tomatoes help regulate blood sugar level
- Vitamin A in tomatoes improves vision, prevents night blindness, and reduces the risk of having macular degeneration.
- The same vitamin A helps to make hair strong and shiny.
- Tomatoes can be used to prevent gall stones and kidney stones. Some research has shown that those who eat tomatoes without seeds have less chance of developing the diseases.
- Tomatoes are rich in bioflavonoids and carotenoids which are anti-inflammatory.These phytonutrients help to reduce pains and can be useful against rheumatism and arthritis.
TERRIFIC HEADLINEScautions and counsels people to use these gifts of nature only after consulting experts in Alternative Medicine.
CONTACT — OFFICE ADDRESS:
- MIRATO Ventures, 1, Fairchilds Lane, Huntsville, Texas, United States — Mobile NOs: +1 – 267-274-8356;
- Joy House, Near Neubertoshchemical Industry, Ofatedo, Osogbo, Osun State, Nigeria.
Nigeria: +234) 803-450-1902; +234 – 8106682128; +234-8163441767;+234-802-548-5195; +234-906-1905566; +234-805-898-1226.