HERBS & SPICES, Official reports compiled as of 2014, indicate that 30,000 Nigerians spent $1 billion annually on medical tourism. The report released by the Nigerian Sovereign Investment Authority states that Nigeria would make huge gains if the affluent class had the will and determination to end the capital flight and invest the money back in the local economy. 60 percent of the aforementioned amount is spent in four major areas of healthcare, namely: cardiology, orthopedic, renal dialysis issues and cancer; but entrepreneurial opportunities abound in the field only for those who could seize the opportunity by redirecting the cash flow into the local health sector.
TERRIFIC HEADLINES: In line with its vision of inviting attention for the purpose of development, that an Independent Alternative Medicine Professional expert, Revd (Dr) MIKE OYE acceded to our request for pro-bono services to enlighten visitors to our social media channels on habits, diets, and health-related matters. As an Independent Alternative Medicine Practitioner and an experienced Christian Minister for over five decades, Dr. Mike Oye has a track record of effectively dealing with many chronic human disorders in a holistic way. His broad and comprehensive education and deep interest in the well-being of humankind are the basis for his practice. We have sought his fatherly assistance to contribute his quota to the development of Nigeria. Join us weekly as we continue to bring to you, our loyal readers and compatriots, very useful information from the rich blend of knowledge and maturity that Pa Mike Oye is sharing
.IN THIS EDITION, we focus on TROPICAL SPICES & THEIR HEALTH BENEFITS. ONIONS & USEFULNESS.
- ALLIUM CEPA (LILIACEAE)
- ENGLISH NAME: ONION
- AFRICAN NAMES:
- NIGERIA: Yoruba = Alubosa; Hausa = Albasa; Igbo = ayabaasi
- GHANA: Akan = abrofo gyeene
- LIBERIA: Mano =yaba; Vai= siba
- SIERRA LEONE: Krio= yabas, Mende = yabas
- MALI : Dogon =gau
- COTE D’IVOIRE: Bete = jeba; Godie = ajo
Description An annual or biennial herbaceous plant with leaves to about 50 cm long, and a longer flower stalk, all from a large bulbous base.
- The bulbs are carminative and lower cholesterol
- The bulbs are diuretic and stimulate the intestines
- Extracts have shown bacteristatic and hypoglycemic actions
- Externally, the onion is ruber-facient and anti-phlogistic on abcesses
- Onion slices rubbed on the head can encourage hair growth in cases of dry pityriasis. This thought to supply sulfur presumed to be deficient in the body.
- The onion is distasteful to snakes and may be found planted or scattered about as repellants, and the plant is used as an antidote for snake bite and poisoning
- Onions are often used to prevent tooth decay and oral infections
- They help in thinning the blood and prevent red blood cells from forming clumps, thus reducing the risk of cardiovascular disorders.
- The juice mixed with honey or olive oil is one of the best treatment for acne
- Onions increase the urge for healthy sex, especially when the juice is mixed with that of
- Onions can provide relief for those suffering from burning sensation during urination
- They are rich in antioxidants that inhibit the development of cancer, particularly that of the stomach and the breast.
- Symptoms of cough and sore throat can be relieved by taking a mixture of onion juice and honey. The juice facilitates the melting of phlegm and helps to relieve asthma
- A few drops of onion juice can relieve acute earache. Even a few drops on cotton wool can help stop ringing ears.
- Onions help to clean the blood of pollutants, thus aiding the work of the kidneys
- A broth of onions is effective in the healing of cholera
- Onion juice mixed with turmeric can remove dark pigments from the skin.
- Onions lower blood sugar and are, therefore good for diabetes.
MEDICAL TOURISM & CAPITAL FLIGHT – NIGERIANS HAVE A DUTY TO HALT THE TREND. God has been kind to Africa in terms of natural resources. Africa is tremendously rich in several natural resources, including agriculture; but less than 10 percent of arable land in Africa is being utilized for farming, thus leaving huge cultivable arable lands on the vast continent uncultivated. Regrettably, the tremendously blessed continent, as of 2013, was the poorest region in the world. It is evidently for this reason that the President of the African Development Bank, Dr. Akinwunmi Adesina has asserted that the billions being chased around are actually in Africa’s farmlands. As a continent with a collective GDP of about US$2 trillion, Africa holds about 14 percent of the world’s population and more than 60 percent of uncultivated arable land. Regrettably, less than 10 percent of arable land in Africa is being cultivated. What this means is that Africans must be mobilized in the pursuit of good governance, and the proper utilization of the continent’s several human and natural resources, particularly agriculture.
Our guide, Revd (Dr) Mike Oye has pointed out that it is very possible to live healthily without drugs through good diets, discipline, and adequate appropriation of nature. Hence, it is high time we appreciated what we have before we lose them or pay direly to access them. According to him, it is always good to remember that God created resources for all that man would ever need before the creation of man. He created herbs for the healing of the nations (Ezekiel47V12). God made products are always better than man-made products. The best of science is to discover a little of the wisdom of God in the creation and never to fault it. Thus, whatever is natural is always better for human consumption than synthetic alternatives. Unfortunately, so many gifted local alternative medical practitioners, who never went to any school but inherited the formula from their progenitors have died with their useful knowledge. Their products and claims could have been subjected to tests by the appropriate agencies of government, but they never parted with their rich knowledge of traditional medicine. As advocates and promoters of HOME MADE PRODUCTS, we will try, to the best of our endowments, to continue to invite the attention of our loyal readers and friends to these products.
TERRIFIC HEADLINES cautions and counsels people to use these gifts of nature only after consulting experts in Alternative Medicine.
CONTACT OFFICE ADDRESS:
- MIRATO Ventures, 1, Fairchilds Lane, Huntsville, Texas, United States
- Joy House, Near Neubertoshchemical Industry, Ofatedo, Osogbo, Osun State, Nigeria.
Mobile NOs: +1 – 267-274-8356;
Nigeria: +234) 803-450-1902; +234 – 8106682128; +234-8163441767;+234-802-548-5195; +234-906-1905566; +234-805-898-1226.