OUR GUIDE, Rev (Dr) Mike Oye, a Naturopathist/Alternative Medicine practitioner points out that it is very possible to live healthy without drugs through good diets, discipline, and adequate appropriation of nature. He asserts that whatever is natural is always better for human consumption than the synthetic alternatives. In continuation of our series on the USE OF ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE through the preparation of herbs from plants that abound in our natural environment. Today, we continue with our exposition on medicinal herbs and plants with an expose on ONIONS; that among others, are potent in reducing the risk of cardiovascular disorders.
ALLIUM CEPA (LILICEAE)
ENGLISH NAME: ONION
GHANA: Akan=abrofo gyeene
LIBERIA: Mano= yaba; Vai= siba
COTE D’IVOIRE: Bete=jeba, Godie=ajo
An annual or biennial herbaceous plant with leaves to about 50cm long, and a longer flower stalk, all from a large bulbous base.
- The bulbs are carminative and lower cholesterol
- The bulbs are diuretic and stimulate the intestines.
- Extracts have shown bacteristatic and hypoglycemic actions.
- Externally, the onion is rubefacient and anti-phlogistic on abscesses.
- Onion slices rubbed on the head can encourage hair growth in cases of dry pityriasis. This is thought to supply sulfur presumed to the deficient in the body.
- The onion is distasteful to snakes and may be found planted or scattered about as are repellant.
- The plant is useful as an antidote for snake bite and poisoning.
- Onions are often used to prevent tooth decay and oral infections.
- They help in thinning the blood and prevent red blood cells from forming clumps, thus reducing the risk of cardiovascular disorders.
- The juice, mixed with honey or olive oil, is one of the best treatments for acne.
- Onions increase the urge for healthy sex, especially when the juice is mixed with that of ginger.
- Onions can provide relief for those suffering from burning sensation during urination.
- They are rich in antioxidants that inhibit the development of cancer, particularly that of the stomach and the breast.
- Symptoms of cough and sore throat can be relieved by taking a mixture of onion juice and honey. The juice facilitates the melting of phlegm and help stop ringing ears.
- Onions help to clean the blood of pollutants, thus aiding the work of the kidneys.
- A broth of onions is effective in the healing of cholera.
- Onion juice mixed with turmeric can remove dark pigments from the skin.
- Onions lower blood sugar and are, therefore, good for diabetics
TERRIFIC HEADLINES counsels that you contact a qualified and certified Naturopathist/Alternative Medical Practitioner for the right dosage and prescription for this herbal plant. Our GUIDE, Revd (Dr) Mike Oye, a Doctoral degree holder in Agriculture is also a specialist in Naturopathy.
CONTACT OFFICE ADDRESS:
- Joy House, Near Neubertosh Chemical Industry, Ofatedo, Osogbo, Osun State, Nigeria.
Mobile Nos: (234) 803-450-1902; (234) 8106682128;
- OFFICE: +(234) 8163441767; +234 (0) 9061905566; +234 (0) 8065331226.
- UNITED STATES: 397 Sally Road, Yardley, PA 19067, United States. Mobile No: +(1) 267-274-8356
E-MAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org; Oyemike1939@gmail.com,