Home Democracy End SARS: Osinbajo apologizes to Nigerians, admits govt’s fault; says former SARS...

End SARS: Osinbajo apologizes to Nigerians, admits govt’s fault; says former SARS personnel will not feature in new arrangement.

207
0
SHARE

Spread the love

Nigeria’s Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo, has apologized to Nigerians and also admitted and faulted the Federal Government for not moving faster in addressing the demands of Nigerians calling for a total ban of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, SARS unit of the police. Osinbajo, in a series of tweets on Friday night, said he knows many Nigerians are angry, and that their anger was justified. He said he understands the feeling of many young people in the country, noting that many feel that the government has been too silent and has simply not done enough, adding that the feelings of frustration are justified. Osinbajo noted that far too many people have been brutalized by the police, saying that this is unacceptable. The VP said that it was the responsibility of the government to protect young people, even from those who are paid to protect them. The Vice President noted that the nationwide protests goes beyond agitations about SARS, adding that the government has undertaken comprehensive measures that will revamp the police by addressing issues of welfare, service conditions, and training. Former SARS Members Will Not Feature in Any Police Tactical Units Nigerians have been protesting for days now for the government to  #EndPoliceBrutality and #EndSARS. Part of their wish was granted on the 11th of October when Mohammed Adamu, the Inspector General of Police announced that the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) had been dissolved. This lead to the creation of a new Tactical Team, Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT). The dissolving of the unit nor the new SWAT team stopped the protest, even though Nigerians were assured the Police force will be reformed. TEXT OF MR VICE-PRESIDENT’S TWITTER MESSAGE             Dear Nigerians, i know that many of you are angry, and understandably so. we could’ve moved faster and for this we are sorry. I fully understand how many young people feel. Many feel that we have been too silent and have simply not done enough. these feelings of frustration are justified. There are far too many people who have been brutalised at the hands of the police and this is unacceptable. we must take responsibility for protecting young people, even sometimes from those who are paid to protect them. Over the past week, we have been following the protests, and i have had a number of discussions with key people in the administration that you deserve to be informed about. transparency, after all, is a key tenet…

This content is for Paid Subscribers members only.
Login Join Now