An alternative medicine practitioner, Rev (Dr) Mike Oye points out that it is very possible to live healthy without drugs through good diets, discipline, and adequate appropriation of nature. He asserts that whatever is natural is always better for human consumption than the synthetic alternatives. In continuation of our series on the USE OF ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE through the preparation of herbs from plants that abound in our natural environment, TERRIFIC HEADLINES, this week brings into your homes a plant that you may see very often; but fail to know its usefulness. This week, in line with our policy of promoting NIGERIAN MADE PRODUCTS; our exposition is on SWEET BASIL; known in Yoruba as EFIRIN, that is believed to be potent for healing urinary infections, among others.
OCIMUM BASILICUM (LAMIACEAE)
ENGLISH NAME: SWEET BASIL
NIGERIA: Yoruba = Efinrin wewe; Igbo = Nchu agwu;
Hausa = Daidooya
GHANA: Twi = Akokobesa, guakro
SIERRA LEONE: Kono = wose = yamba
GAMBIA: Wolof = ngumgum
COTE D’VOIRE: Baule = emia
A bushy herb, woody at the base, to 15cm high. Leaves are strongly aromatic. Widely used as a vegetable and as medicine.
• The leaf decoction is a sedative and stomachic. It is good for dizziness, dysentery, and for strengthening the body.
• It is used to promote menstruation but not to procure abortion.
• Basil tea is used to treat distention and intestinal colic, gastric ulcer, anorexia, urinary infections, and diabetes.
• Liquid from pulped leaves is useful for otitis, sinusitis, ophthalmia, catarrh and filarial.
• A root decoction is febrifugal.
• The plant has diuretic and diaphoretic properties.
• A warm seed infusion is a valuable remedy for gonorrhoea, nephritic and urinary infections, diarrhoea and chronic dysentery.
Again, we request that you contact certified and qualified alternative medical practitioners for the quantity and general prescriptions.
REV. DR. MIKE OYE
CONTACT: OFFICE ADDRESS:
Joy House, Near Neubertosh Chemical Industry, Ofatedo, Osogbo, Osun State, Nigeria.
Mobile Nos: +(234) 803-450-1902;; +(234) 8106682128;
OFFICE: +(234) 8163441767
UNITED STATES: 397 Sally Road, Yardley, PA 19067, United States. Mobile No: +(1) 267-274-8356
E-MAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org; Oyemike1939@gmail.com,