OUR GUIDE, Rev (Dr) Mike Oye, a Naturopathist/Alternative Medicine practitioner points out that it is very possible to live healthy without drugs through good diets, discipline, and adequate appropriation of nature. He asserts that whatever is natural is always better for human consumption than the synthetic alternatives. In continuation of our series on the USE OF ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE through the preparation of herbs from plants that abound in our natural environment. Today, we continue with our exposition on medicinal herbs and plants with an expose on: GARLIC
ALLIUM SATIVUM (LILIACEAE)
ENGLISH NAME: GARLIC
NIGERIA; YORUBA= alubosa, ayn;
GHANA: Akon-fante=sara anwin
An erect herb 30-69cm tall with a central bulb Chad in dry scales, in whose axils small bulbs develop.
- The flesh and sap of garlic have a diversity of medicinal usage. The principal active ingredient is a suffer containing amino acid, alliin, which is cataysed by alliinazee to become allicin.
- Sap of garlic is bacteriostatic. Allicin has Gram +ve and Gram ve properties.
- Votatile substances from crushed garlic act on most bacteria, protozoa and fungi.
- It is also anthelmintic, hypotensive, hypoglycenemic, diuretic, antiasthmatic, anticholesterolemic, antispasmodic, diaphoretic, expectorant. Stimulant, stomahic, vasodilator, tonic, and a cholagogue.
- A cold infusion serves as a body-wash for infants as protection against chills.
- It can be applied as a dressing on ulcers and skin diseases, or rubbed on as counter-irritant.
- It can be used against rheumatism, tuberculosis, bronchitis, and to quicken circulation.
- It is good against stuffy nose and as a prophylactic for infections diseased such as flu, diphtheria, typhoid, emphysema, bronchitis and tuberculosis.
- The smell has repellant action on crocodiles and snakes.
- It is effective in normalizing blood pressure.
- It is also said to have anticancer activity.
- Garlic aids the detoxification of lead poisoning.
- It reduces platelet aggregation and hyperlipidemia.
- It regulates blood sugar levels and slows down the development of arteriosclerosis and other.
TERRIFIC HEADLINES counsels that you contact a qualified and certified Naturopathist/Alternative Medical Practitioner for the right dosage and prescription for this herbal plant. Our GUIDE, Revd (Dr) Mike Oye, a Doctoral degree holder in Agriculture is also a specialist in Naturopathy.
CONTACT OFFICE ADDRESS:
Joy House, Near Neubertosh Chemical Industry, Ofatedo, Osogbo, Osun State, Nigeria.
Mobile Nos: (234) 803-450-1902; (234) 8106682128;
OFFICE: +(234) 8163441767; +234 (0) 9061905566; +234 (0) 8065331226.
UNITED STATES: 397 Sally Road, Yardley, PA 19067, United States. Mobile No: +(1) 267-274-8356
E-MAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org; Oyemike1939@gmail.com,
Note: As a means of imparting knowledge, a one week intensive training in Naturopathy is holding from 4th to 8th March, 2018 at the headquarters of MIRATO SCHOOL OF NATUROPATHY, Joy House, Near Neubertosh Chemical Industry, Ofatedo, Osogbo, Osun State, Nigeria. Dr. Mike Oye will be in attendance to lead the team that would impart knowledge at the training programme. REGISTER NOW! SPREAD THE NEWS.
Download Terrific Headlines Mobile app via; https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.adeterrific