ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE:MIKE OYE ON SATURDAY
Our guide, Revd (Dr) Mike Oye points out that it is very possible to live healthily without drugs through good diets, discipline, and adequate appropriation of nature. He asserts that whatever is natural is always better for human consumption than the synthetic alternatives. In continuation of our series on the USE OF ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE through the preparation of herbs from plants that abound in our natural environment as plants, TERRIFIC HEADLINES, this week brings into your homes three plants that you may see very often but fail to know their usefulness. This is also one of our policies of promoting NIGERIAN MADE PRODUCTS.
Revd Dr. Mike Oye, a doctoral degree holder and specialist in Naturopathy is our GUIDE. We shall be looking into the usefulness of NUTMEG, CASHEW, and RED PEPPER. As usual, we advise that you contact a qualified specialist in Herbal Drugs/Naturopathy to know the right quantity of the plants/herbs to be used.
ENGLISH NAME: NUTMEG
Nutmeg is an evergreen tree native to Indonesian forests. It has been popular since ancient times for its outstanding aromatic, aphrodisiac and curative properties.
- Nutmegs improves circulation of blood in the body, helping to stimulate the brain.
- It improves the condition of cardiovascular diseases
- Nutmeg oil is effective as a liver tonic
- A small amount of nutmeg, about the size of a pea, can be taken once daily over a long period to relieve chronic nervous disorders and heart problems
- It can be useful for nausea
- Nutmeg oil is the main ingredient in herbal toothpaste, treating dental disorders
- It can act as an antiseptic
- It is an effective analgesic
- It can prevent cold and cough
- The oil can be applied to the body to sooth aching joints and muscles
- A cup of milk with nutmeg induces deep sleep
- Nutmeg is especially effective in helping with male sexual disorder. It will increase sexual activity, libido and potency without any conspicuous adverse effects.
Large doses can be poisonous and may cause miscarriage.
ENGLISH NAME: Red Pepper, Cayenne pepper
NIGERIA: Yoruba =Ata pupa; Hausa = barkono; Igbo = osebekee
GHANA: Twi = makonsatea
LIBERIA: Mano = Suo
COTE D’IVOIRE: Ando = kpese
TOGO :Bassari = jeginga
A biennial sub-shrub
- Leaves can be taken for cough and heart pain
- Leaf decoction is good against asthma, cough and cold in the chest and consumption, and in poultice for boils
- The fruits are stomachic and stimulant of the alimentary tract, rubefacient, counter- irritant, and laxative
- An infusion of mature fruits stops vomiting in fever and is used for dysentery, yaws etc
- Warm fermentation of fruits and leaves is applied to areas of rheumatism pain
- A preparation is taken internally as a worm-remedy
- A high intake of chilli in the diet makes consumers relatively free from intestinal worms.
- Vitamin K present in cayenne pepper enhances the clotting of blood in cases of excessive bleeding.
ENGLISH NAME: CASHEW
WEST AFRICAN NAMES
NIGERIA: Yoruba = Kaju; Hausa = Fisa
GHANA: Akan-Twi = Atea
TOGO: Gbe-vhe = Atsia
SIERRA LEONE: Krio = Kushu
SENEGAL: Bedik = Yalagere
Description A tree to about 10 meters high with a crooked trunk and ‘w’ spreading branches.
- Bark and leaf infusions are used to relief tooth ache and sore gums and are taken internally for dysentery.
- The bark is used for a fungal disease symptomized by a white coating of the tongues (thrush) and for another more serious condition with a black tongue.
- A black infusion can be taken for urethral discharges.
- Extract from the bark lowers blood sugar level within fifteen minutes of ingestion and continues for some hours.
- Mature leaves rich in tannins are astringent and are used in the same way as the bark.
- The young leaves can be used for dysentery, diarrhea and haermorroids.
- Cashew nut is very rich in omega-3 fatty acids that serve as anti oxidants and immune booster.
- Both the leaf and bark help normalize blood pressure
- The nut is rich in magnesium, potassium, iron and zinc. Some B vitamins are present as is A.
- The phytonutrients in the nut include alpha-catechin, beta- carotene, beta- sitosterol, cardanol, garlic acid, epicatecchin, leucocyanidin, lencopelagonidine and limonene, which together are antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, tissue supportive and tissue protective.
Joy House, Near Neubertosh Chemical Industry, Ofatedo, Osogbo, Osun State, Nigeria.
United States — +1-267-274-8356; & +1-267-274-8357
Mobile Nos: +(234) 803-450-1902; (234) 8106682128 OFFICE: +(234) 8163441767
E-MAIL: email@example.com; Oyemike1939@gmail.com,