ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE: MIKE OYE ON SATURDAY
Rev (Dr) Mike Oyepoints out that it is very possible to live healthy without drugs through good diets, discipline, and adequate appropriation of nature. He asserts that whatever is natural is always better for human consumption than the synthetic alternatives. In continuation of our series on the USE OF ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE through the preparation of herbs from plants that abound in our natural environment, TERRIFIC HEADLINES, this week brings into your homes a plant that you may see very often, but fail to know its usefulness. This week, we commence this exposition on CITRUS FRUITSin line with our policy of promoting NIGERIAN MADE PRODUCTS.
Citrus fruits are popular for their high content of vitamin C. They are also used mainly in cleansing and cooling the body. The juice seems to help cut grease on the hand or dishes, and may help fat digestion and utilization. Citrus and vitamin C are thought to help reduces cholesterol. Gall bladder and liver function is supported by citrus fruits; especially lemons may help stimulate digestive juice secretions. Last week, our focus was on: CITRUS AURANTIFOLIA, known ordinarily as LIME. This week, our focus is on ORANGES with botanical name: CITRUS SINENSIS
ENGLISH NAME: Orange, Sweet orange
WEST AFRICAN NAMES
NIGERIA: Yoruba = Orombo, Orombo-didun; Hausa = Babanleemu, leemu-mai-zaaki
GHANA: Akan-Asante = Aboronkaa, Twi, Fante = akutu
COTE D’IVOIRE: Kru-Bete= Kpasu
SIERRE LEONE: Bulom = Lebe; Gola = limbe; Kono = Dumbi; Mende = Dumbe; Susu = Lefure.
- A tree up to 12 meters high. It is the most important of the citrus species.
- Health benefits
- Well known as a good source of vitamin C (from the ripe fruit). One orange can give the minimum vitamin C requirement of 65mg per day.
- The leaves in infusion are good for fever.
- Leaf-tea can be given for flu, pneumonia, and as an after-birth depurant.
- The volatile oil from the leaves has an expectorant effect.
- Roasted pieces of fruit can be applied to fungating ulcers.
- The rind contains a gum-resin and tannin which act as a stomahic, astringent and anti-dyspeptic.
- Hesperidin present in the species has a positive action against scurvy.
- A seed extract is used in treating malaria, one manifestation being a marked contraction of the spleen.
- Oranges have more vitamin A than other citruses, helping to fight infections and protect against cancer by boosting the immune system.
- Oranges contains almost all the vitamins and minerals needed for healthy living. They are particularly rich in potassium and calcium, which are necessary for blood homeostasis and bone-health respectively.
- Oranges are rich in the phytonutrients quercetin, naringinen, hesperidin, limonene, hesperetin, and beta-myrcene. These flavonoids and terpenoids have anti-oxidant, anti-biotic, cancer-preventive, anti-inflammatory, and other tissue-supportive and tissue protective properties.
- Oranges peels can be boiled together with the peels of pineapple and lemon and drunk to treat waist pain.
- The peels help to eliminate cold, improve digestion, promote the circulation of energy, and counteract diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal swellings.
TERRIFIC HEADLINES counsels that you contact a qualified and certified Naturopathist/Alternative Medical Practitioner for the right dosage and prescription for this herbal plant.Our GUIDE,Revd(Dr). Mike Oye,is a doctoral degree holder and specialist in Naturopathy.
CONTACT: OFFICE ADDRESS:
Joy House, Near Neubertosh Chemical Industry, Ofatedo, Osogbo, Osun State, Nigeria.
Mobile Nos: +(234) 803-450-1902;; +(234) 8106682128;
OFFICE: +(234) 8163441767
UNITED STATES: 397 Sally Road, Yardley, PA 19067, United States. Mobile No: +(1) 267-274-8356
E-MAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org; Oyemike1939@gmail.com,